Warning: I’m not sure why guys would be reading this blog anyway, but if you are- you probably should not.
If you’re like me, shark week SUCKS. I’m always looking for ways to make it easier, less painful, and less messy. I’m sharing some of the things that help me battle Mother Nature with hopes your monthly visit will be a little easier to deal with as well.
- Let’s talk about pros & cons of both menstrual cups (Diva Cup) & menstrual discs (Softcup). I thought making a graphic would be the easiest way to do this, so take a look. After using a menstrual cup for several months and having issues with leaking, I decided to try Softcup. I’m sold and probably won’t ever use a cup again.
2. If you’ve not made the switch to organic pads, get on amazon NOW. Call me old fashioned, but I can NOT sleep with anything in my V. I feel like my cramps are much better if I let it flow at night and give the lady bits a break. I was using Always Infinity Pads but noticed that I was getting irritated, dry, and itchy after having a pad on for the night. It almost felt like the skin around my bikini area was raw where the edge of the pad sat. After switching to organic pads, the issues were GONE!
I decided to do a little research and learned that most pads & tampons are bleached with chlorine, leading to a toxic byproduct called dioxin. You may be thinking, “So what?” Well dioxin is linked to endometriosis and cancer. Some people will argue and say that organic pads are not better than the other, but I call bullshit– solely because of my own experiences.
3. If you’ve not stopped using tampons yet, I should slap you. But honestly- you should quit. This is without a doubt one of the best things you can do for your period. My cramps aren’t as intense, bloating has almost disappeared, shark week got shorter, lady bits look healthier (tampons literally suck the moisture out of you), AND you’ll save a ton of money. The thought of pulling a ball of cotton out of my vagina, freaked me out EVERY time. There’s just no way it’s healthy to scratch everything like that, because let’s be honest- that’s what it felt like. I won’t even begin to talk about the fact that if your tampons aren’t organic, you’ve got carcinogens and other various chemicals just chilling in you for hours. Eek!
4. Hydrate. Most women think that drinking water will make them bloated. Wrong. Your body needs water to be able to flush everything out. Drink more water when you’re on your cycle to help combat bloating. Try to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water, daily. Your skin will thank you as well.
5. Exercise. I know, I know. You’re thinking, “Saje, do you know what it feels like?!” Yep. Believe it or not, exercising during your period will help improve your mood, reduce bloating, and make your cramps not as intense. Even if your workouts during your monthly visit aren’t at the same level as usual- that’s ok! Just get moving.
6. Don’t binge. Your nutrition during your cycle makes a huge difference. Junk foods make you feel like crap even when you’re not on your period, and even worse when you are. If you need a bite of chocolate or something sweet, just remember portion control. Most breakouts during your period are from eating too much sugar! Your skin will be more clear, you’ll be less bloated, and you’ll have more energy if you stick to healthy foods. Fun fact: Your metabolism actually speeds up between 2.5%-11% the week before your period. That means if you’re able to withstand the PMS cravings, you’ll burn more calories than you normally would instead of your faster metabolism being used to burn the crap you’re eating and keep you at the same weight.
7. Detox. No, I’m not talking about some crazy juice fast or anything, I’m talking about this supplement. Pop two of these in the morning and two more at night and your tummy will thank you. We all know how dreaded period bloat and constipation is… not anymore! You won’t be running to the bathroom or anything like that, I promise. The photos below are of me in the middle of my period and I’m not even bloated! Use the code SAJE30 for 30% off.
Make sure you’ve joined my ladies-only Facebook group where we talk about things like this ALL the time.